Kodai Sano, the 22-year-old Japanese midfielder of NEC Nijmegen, is on the verge of joining PSV Eindhoven. The transfer was long in negotiations but finally concluded after a meeting between the clubs on Tuesday. Sano could immediately fill an important midfield role where coach Peter Bosz is without captain Jerdy Schouten due to his ACL injury and not returning until 2027.

'He didn’t want to play'

During the UEFA Champions League match against Olympiacos on Tuesday evening, in which NEC Nijmegen made their debut in the tournament, Sano decided not to play. After a conversation with manager Dick Schreuder, Sano explained his decision.

"He’s not here; that’s clear to everyone," said Schreuder to Ziggo Sport. "He sent me a text this morning asking if he could have a quick word with me. We spoke and it was clear that he didn’t want to play. That decision was really up to him. If you don't want to play, I’ll pick someone who does. I told him it would be best if he left the squad as well so we could focus on the match."

Schreuder explains that Sano, who was close to joining Crystal Palace in January and Hoffenheim earlier this transfer window, broke his end of the deal.

"He slept badly and there were a few other factors as well. So I’m straightforward about it. If you don't want to play, I'll pick someone who does. I told him that would be best if he left the squad so we could focus on the match."

Sano was a crucial member of the NEC squad that finished third in last season's Eredivisie. The Nijmegen outfit had their best season in club history and qualified for the UEFA Champions League qualifiers for the first time.

The transfer to PSV is likely to proceed immediately after Sano’s decision, following negotiations between the clubs on Tuesday.